Castle in the sky



This was the type of project I didn't know how to start. When thinking of castles, usually the first type of castles that pops into mind are the princess-Disney-medieval European castles. But thinking further, I remembered Asia has pretty neat castles of their own so I went to research some castles from East Asia and that's when I got inspired. Since I really like making things more on the fantasy side of the spectrum, I wanted mine to be a castle floating in the sky.


The Blue Castle in Japan was one of the main inspirations to the look of my castle.
I started off with the smaller buildings surrounding the castle, which was not too hard since they were just basic extruded rectangle and squares. The hardest parts of the building may have been building the roofs. It took me awhile, but since roof isn't exactly a regular triangle, I figured out I had to loft a rectangle to a slimmer rectangle to make the shape of it.

  


Next was making the castle itself. It has a similar structure to the smaller buildings but the only difference is the addition to the entrance and the stairs. Hardest part of the castle was 100% the stairs. This was the tutorial I used to create them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7hdbO87-8M&t=759s&ab_channel=AndreiS


Another tricky part to the kingdom was how to make land that it was going to sit atop on. But a few tutorials later, I found out you can use point curve tool to make the topography lines and then level those lines different heights. Next was to loft them and just play around with the settings to see what you want. 








Comments

  1. I really love the bottom design under the castle itself, it creates a unique and whimsical feel to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sick! The shape of the topography contrasts really great with the shapes of the castle. Love your concept :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This looks like it could be part of a game!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you went for an Asian themed castle, and how you made lots of separate buildings among the walls. It really makes your castle memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The architecture is super clean, and the platform has great shape design, excellent job. Also beautiful blog layout

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lord of the rings: Last minute changes and Outsourcing

Lord of the Rings: Prototype